Now, before you think it. I already know.
This is not my most beautiful looking dessert ever to be made. But truly, honestly, you need to look past any reservations and give this recipe a go – IT’S A WINNER.
Wasabi might not be your go-to (it wasn’t mine either before I made this summer granita), but think, sweet coconut milk with yummy desiccated coconut chunks all flavoured with a really subtle warmth that brings it all together. Oh and guess what, it takes 10 minutes till you bang it in the freezer and all of 7 simple ingredients. I GOT YOU.
It has zero rubbish, and very, very little sugar per serving which can’t be said for even many guilt-free desserts. It’s the most refreshing and addictive dessert you could serve after a summer BBQ where people can add to it almost like a pick’n’mix toppings. Really, I love it and I hope you do too!
I chose to top mine with fresh pomegranate seeds for bursts of flavour and added texture and edible flowers.
I would also recommend raw cacao nibs, coconut flakes, toasted flaked almonds, goji berries and fresh strawberries!
Hope you love it, please let me know your thoughts!
I originally created this recipe for “Healthy Meals in Under 20 Minutes” for Spinneys Food magazine and super excited that I now get to share it with you here!
- 400ml can full cream coconut milk
- 3 tsp wasabi powder
- 450ml unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp Truvia
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 40g unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- Pour the coconut milk into a large bowl. Whisk in the wasabi powder.
- Put the almond milk, truvia and honey in a saucepan set over a medium-low heat. Gently heat for 2 minutes, or until the milk is warm and the honey and truvia have dissolved.
- Carefully pour the warm mixture over the coconut milk. Stir in the desiccated coconut and the seeds from the vanilla pod.
- Transfer to a large plastic container and place in the freezer for 6-8 hours, until frozen.
- Remove the granita from the freezer 10 minutes before serving to soften. Use a fork to scrape the granita into bowls.
- Divide among four bowls and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds, coconut flakes and cacao nibs, if you like.