Sesame crusted tuna. Spicy coconut relish. Mango and avocado salsa. Cucumber ribbon salad with soy dressing.
I made each of these recipe individually for a feature I did a little while ago titled “Healthy Meals in Under 20 Minutes” for Spinneys Food magazine. Although you can make them separately to have with whatever you fancy, ultimately they go incredibly well together and with Summer quickly approaching, I thought it might be best to share it with you as an entertaining-style recipe rather than dinner at home for one. Naturally, you can reduce the portion sizes and do that too :)
I think this is the PERFECT option for when you have guests round and want to make something with minimal fuss that tastes fresh and ridiculously tasty! The soy and tahini dressing for the cucumber salad brings these fruits to life and using a spiralizer to create ribbons adds a lot of texture so I highly reccomend it! I like my tuna pink as it is here and the sesame seeds add a delicious toasted crunch to the fish.
The coconut relish recipe was something I picked up whilst in Zanzibar on my honeymoon and it reminded me what a few simple ingredients can create! They did have super fresh and strong chillis which I think makes the relish but it depends on how hot you like it!
I honestly have this with most grilled fish I make nowadays and it adds an unique element to the meal. Finally, the mango and avo salsa … can’t be beaten in my opinion! The fresh mango is bursting with flavour and the avocado not only adds nutritious and satiating healthy fats but depth to the entire plate of food.
Hope you enjoy, let me know your thoughts!
- 4 tuna steaks (approx 200g each)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 2 tbs sesame oil
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs black sesame seeds
- 2 tbs white sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp coconut oil to cook with
- 2 avocados
- 300g fresh mango
- ½ large red onion, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 80g unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 150ml coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ red chilli, finely chopped (use ¼ chilli for a milder relish)
- Handful coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 large cucumbers, spiralised or thinly sliced into ribbons
- 170g frozen edamame beans, defrosted
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- For the coconut relish, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and put int he fridge.
- For the Cucumber salad, spiralize the cucumber and then pat dry with kitchen towel to remove excess water. Mix all the ingredients for the cucumber dressing together and serve next to the cucumber.
- For the Salsa, finely chop the avocado and mango and put in a bowl with the red onion and lime juice. Season and stir to combine then keep in the fridge until tuna is ready.
- For the tuna;
- Combine the garlic, ginger, sesame oil and soy sauce in a shallow dish. Add the tuna steaks and turn to coat well.
- Mix the sesame seeds together then sprinkle over both sides of the tuna, coating evenly.
- Set a large griddle pan brushed with the coconut oil over a medium-high heat. Once hot, grill the tuna for 4 minutes, turning halfway, until charred on the outside but pink in the middle.
- Transfer the tuna to a board and slice into 1cm-thick lengths. Serve with everything else!