Okay Pizza lovers, listen up!
I’m not going to pretend I’ve crafted your exact healthy replica of cheese and dough-filled Sunday nights, but I have created something I think you’re going to be pretty happy with. SUPER healthy and seriously delicious kale and avocado flatbreads … and you really can eat your heart out with these!
The kale pesto is full of wonderful nutty walnuts, fresh basil and lovely citrusy lemon that brings it to life, not to mention it’s a killer superfood by itself packed full of raw, nutritious kale leaves.
That is topped with creamy avocado and tasty parmesan cheese, with a few other colour and taste popping ingredients to finish the flatbreads off!
Instead of a thick and calorie heavy base, I’ve used wholegrain wheat wraps, like what you use in fajitas. A quick bake in the oven and it means you can slice up the flatbreads and serve just as if you were eating pizza out of a box :) OR, even better, plate it up sharing style like below on a chopping board and have everyone enjoy the fact they’re eating truly tasty and nutritious food.
Hope you like it, this is one of my real go-to’s when I want something speedy and nourishing that isn’t salad based!
Tip: Keep some of the kale pesto to top with crackers or have as a side with your eggs in the morning.
- 65g walnuts or ½ cup whole walnuts, plus 1 tbs coconut oil for toasting
- 6 Kale stems
- 4 garlic cloves
- Handful of fresh Basil
- 4tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Pinch of sea salt and black pepper for seasoning
- 4 x whole wheat wraps, tsp of olive oil for each to bake.
- 4 Avocados, sliced
- 4 Radishes, sliced
- 2 tbs grated parmesan cheese
- Sea salt and black pepper for seasoning
- Optional: Chili flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Put the wraps on a baking tray and rub both sides with the olive oil. Season and bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make the pesto. Remove the leaves from the kale stems and blitz them in a food processor for 15 seconds.
- Set a frying pan with the coconut oil over a medium heat. Add the walnuts and toast for 3-4 minutes until starting to turn gold brown. Tip into the kale, along with the garlic, basil leaves, olive oil and lemon juice. Season and pulse until the pesto is almost smooth.
- Spread the pesto over the flatbreads and top with the avocado and radishes. Scatter over the parmesan and sprinkle with chilli flakes, if you like.