It’s one of those crowd pleasers.
One of the few healthy desserts that turn out perfect every time.
Why? Because it’s so damn simple!
Frozen banana chunks, raw cacao powder, fresh mint leaves and milk of your choice – I’ve used Koita’s non-GMO soy milk here to help give options for anyone who is vegan or dairy-free, but you can of course use regular full fat cows milk just as well in the same quantities.
As you probably saw from my chocolate and orange chia seed recipe, I’ve been working with Koita to create these yummy guilt-free recipes. I switch between using dairy-free milk alternatives and Organic full-fat cows milk, but only ones that are of really good quality. The cows that produce Koita milk are from high up in the hills in Italy with absolutely no added hormones, antibiotics, preservatives, stabilizers or basically anything nasty – so it suits me perfectly, plus the taste is great!
It’s a seriously addictive recipe (I’ve gone through a fair few batches just creating this!), and the perfect alternative for something shop-bought, full of preservatives and nasty sugars. It’ll make for the best movie night treat, satisfying those sweet cravings or when you just want a big old hug in a bowl. Healthy ice cream goodness!
Bananas are of course relatively high in natural sugars but as the ‘Best’ option of the “Worst – Better – Best” analogy – it’s a winner. They also contain high amounts of B6, Vitamin C and Potassium so at the very minimum, you’re getting good nutritional benefits from a sweet treat.
Make sure you have a high quality blender so that it’s able to smooth out the frozen bananas well enough AND if the mixture isn’t quite thick enough when you’ve blended it all up, just pop it back into the freezer for an hour and then it’ll be perfect. You can see mine started to melt quite quickly whilst filming the video (which you can see here) and taking these snaps!
Final tip: The riper and blacker the bananas are, the better. You can buy them from the shops a few days before, allow them to ripen at home and then get blending!
I hope you enjoy the recipe and please let me know what you think below by commenting!
- 4 really ripe bananas
- 100 ml soy milk (or cows if you prefer)
- 1 measuring tablespoon of raw cacao powder
- 6 sprigs of fresh mint leaves
- Fresh passion fruit to top
- Cut the bananas into chunks and place them in a sandwich bag into the freezer.
- Freeze for 6+ hours until frozen (they will keep in the freezer for months if you want to make use of any bananas going off)
- Place the banana chunks into the blender along with the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately or if you want it thicker, place in freezer for 30-60 minutes and then serve.