Apple and cinnamon is one scrumptious combination. Combine that with the likes of nuts, seeds, chai and oats and it makes for one remarkable little breakfast bar! Not only that but you’ve got a breakfast bar full of nutritious superfoods – win win! For anyone that follows my instagram you’ll know my day usually starts with either eggs or some form of protein. The benefits of having protein for breakfast are huge and if you want, you can read about them here….however there are occasions when we don’t always have the luxury of whipping up a morning omelette!
For those kind’ve days, having a healthy alternative should always be available, if not you’ll feel unsatisfied and unhappy with how you kicked off your day! It’s a big rule of mine that just because time is short, it doesn’t mean breakfast should be any less enjoyable or nutritious, it’s my favourite meal of the day so I wouldn’t dream of cheating myself out of it! Plus who would turn down delicious food? Not me! ;)
And these gorgeous nutty breakfast bars are exactly that and my morning godsend for not only when i’m in a rush but when I just fancy a change. They are full of protein from the 5 different types of nuts and seeds used in them so will keep you going till lunch and set your blood sugars on the right level to start the day. They are bursting with delicious fresh and fragrant apple using REAL apple pieces rather than any apple flavouring you would normally find in typical store bought ‘healthy’ snacks. The cinnamon is subtle but gives it a welcomed gentle spice that completes these oaty bars as well as adding to their superfood nutrition status!
They keep for 3-4 days in the fridge, although if anyone else gets wind of them you may not have them for that long! Make sure if you want/need gluten-free then do buy oats that say gluten-free on them, it sounds silly as of course naturally, oats don’t contain gluten but they can be contaminated so depending on your reasons for gluten-free, it’s better to be on the safe side. Nairn’s do a nice gluten-free range and their stuff is yummy! Click here for their website. Hope you enjoy!
- 1½ cup gluten-free oats
- ½ red apple with skin, grated
- ¼ cup almonds
- ¼ cup pecans
- 1 Tbs sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbs pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup dates (equals about 6)
- 1 Tbs cinnamon
- 2 Tbs honey
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 3 Tbs chia seed gel (Made by soaking 1 tbs dry chia seeds with ½ cup water)
- 1 Tbs flaked almonds
- To top:
- Apple slices
- Make the Chia-seed gel by combining the chia seeds and water overnight, kept in the fridge.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180℃
- Blend almonds and pecans together until they resemble a fine-like flour and place in a large bowl.
- Give the sunflower and pumpkin seeds a quick whiz to break them up and add to the bowl.
- Blend the dates until finely chopped and add to the nuts and seeds.
- Melt the coconut oil, and grate the apple and then combine all the remaining ingredients (including chia gel) together in the bowl.
- Stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Line your baking tray and pour the mixture in. Press down hard with a metal spoon and level off the mixture.
- Slice up an apple and evenly distribute apple slices so that there is one slice on each piece when you cut.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until starting to turn golden brown at the edges.